Saturday, June 20, 2015

RawHyde BMW Motorcycle Off-road Training

Since this trip that Carmen and I are on is so extensive and covers so much unpaved and foreign terrain, I decided that I needed a little additional training on off-road riding.

BMW has two training facilities in the US, and both are owned and operated by Jim Hyde of RawHyde Adventures.  


The class is out in the sticks.
Let me give you an idea of how far out this place was.

When they said that the class was a little 'out there'.. they were being serious.
The nearest town is 15 miles away.. We had to drive 10 miles down a dirt road and then another mile up what appeared to be a rabbit trail just to get to the class on learning to ride off-road.

Here is a taste of the scenery along that route.







Here is the view from the entrance looking back out.
 
I can't see town from here.





Just arrived at camp and all the bikes are lined up and clean(ish).



This is a photo of most of the camp, there are some tents to the left that I don't have a photo of, but this is pretty much it.





Inside the big building is a spot for eating our pampered 5 star meals, there was an excellent chef on hand for the weekend.

Also there was an open bar... Just remember that it is at 10,000' altitude when you start drinking.
(I am not so good at remembering that until the next morning.)


Carmen looking all sexy and waiting on me with some Bourbon in hand.
Carmen loves this sign.

So here we are learning some basics about picking up bikes, what to do, what not to do.. etc.



And here we go, off to learn how to ride.





The Training Grounds

Learning to drive in circles on dirt didn't sound that hard...

My 1st fall.. out of 8 this weekend.

Our fearless trainer Shawn showing off.



An other training area.






Stick that hip out!

Driving around slick, tight, washed out turns on a 600 pound motorbike isn't as easy as it looks.





Looking a little warn out from practicing all day.


Dusty showing us how it's done.

Receiving instructions from Shawn.

Woopie-dos




Driving through the Gulley... of DEATH!


Before this weekend I wouldn't have even considered the above gully as a viable driving area.
Now I have many MANY road miles under my belt. Across Australia, Alaska to Panama, across France and Italy and Ireland and top to bottom of Vietnam.

But during this class.. I learned more in 6 hours of riding here than I have over months of travel on open roads.
The rules are different.. and I just needed to be taught them.


Now I say.. Bring on the dirt!



Long day.. so I made gravel angles.



The end of class awards ceremony.




After all weekend on dirt I was pretty happy to see asphalt once more.




And now we are back off on more adventures!

Heading into Denver from here to visit my friend Steve and to explore.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Love the photo of you so happy to see asphalt.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are reviewed before posting to keep spam out.